Friday, April 28, 2006

So okay, I went back to Russ Gray Pond tonight. Dad suggested that maybe the someone had been feeding the grouse. So I took Aurora’s suggestion and came with a trouser-cuff full of bird seed . . .

I park in the pull-off, about the same location as last night, and fiddle around getting my camera gear out. The grouse wasn’t around so I started walking up the road.

When I got to the upper end of the pond, and still no grouse, I decided to shoot some photographs while I was there. So I shot geese on the pond . . .

And the sun setting on the pond . . .

And I walked back to the car. The grouse was standing next to the driver’s door. But at the same time a pick-up truck came down the road. So that dingy grouse chased the truck down the road and even FLEW after it, like it was pissed off.

I waited about five minutes and it came trotting back up the road. So I went into the woods a few feet and knelt down. It came to within 10-15 feet and just paced a semi-circle around me. It made little throaty noises at me the whole time.

I took out my packet of bird seed and flung some towards it. No interest whatsoever. So I took some more photos and walked back to the car.

Of course it followed and chased me up the road . . .

Now, if it doesn’t want food that leads me back to the nesting theory . . . but how far away will the grouse go from its nest? The length of the pond is pretty far, and last night it was within a few feet of me for a little over an hour.

I personally think it suffers a mental defect . . .

I don’t think I’ll get to go look for it again for the next couple of days, but I’ll get back if I can.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

maybe you were giving off grouse pheremones. lol What makes this even funnier was the "Cops" episode I saw last night where a wild turkey was preventing two officers from getting out of their cruiser.

11:49 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

This bird has no idea that people all around the world are interested in him --- time has changed...

2:13 AM  
Blogger whitney said...

Ha! I am enjoying your little escapades with this grouse immensely. :o)

2:50 AM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

And we're referring to the grouse as defective??:)

12:06 PM  
Blogger polona said...

ha! i wonder what's on this grouse's mind...

3:15 PM  
Blogger sangeet said...

I've been following this since yesterday Eric - I wish you luck with working it out :) and in the meantime I shall enjoy your beautiful photographs!

Sangeet

4:48 PM  
Blogger Borut said...

This is weird. St Francis would be of great help. But there must be some natural explanation. The bird is probably defending its nest and territory. Or, it’s supernatural. I’ve been reading about shamanic practices of Native Americans. It’s called shape-shifting. A powerful brujo (sorcerer) is believed to be capable of transforming into the shape of an animal. Eric, I’m afraid your powerful haiga have caught the attention of an equally powerful and artistically minded witch. Now you’ll probably have to learn her grouse language first…:)

12:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is hilarious! Love the pics to illustrate your true-story. Thanks for the smile.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home