Thursday, April 27, 2006

Can someone tell me if this is a grouse?

AND . . .
Why on earth would this bird follow me from where I parked my car at Russ Gray Pond pull-over, up the length of the pond as I walked the road, cross the road to follow me as I explored the stream feeding into the pond, follow me back down the road . . .

circle me once I got into the car . . .

and then chase me up the road? One of the weirdest thing I’ve ever experienced on Bear Spring . . . I swear it's the truth . . . anybody venture a guess as to why?

6 Comments:

Blogger Wolf said...

I think it is a grouse! Thats really funny! :) Could be looking for its mom? Or protecting its nest? Maybe looking for a mate? :)
I seen one the other day, and as soon as it saw me, it flew away! Your lucky this bird was not camera shy!

9:54 PM  
Blogger eric l houck jr said...

usually when i come across one of these the only thing i get to see is a blur of motion and the whirr of wings . . . if i didn't take the pictures yesterday, i'd be sure i dreamt the whole thing today . . .

4:54 AM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Wonder if you came close to a nest??

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jim Tantillo said...

Eric, definitely a grouse. Also definitely close to nesting season/mating season, so could be trying to distract you away from the nest. I'll pass this along to a biologist friend and see if I can get a better explanation.
Jim

3:17 PM  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I think Pat's right.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Karen Thomason/Gordon Setter Crossing said...

I have been a fanatic grouse hunter for nearly 40 yrs. and live in an area where we have Ruffed Grouse in our yard almost daily. I have had them run me out of a nest area but never had one follow me. Karen has grouse that will walk up to her to get a little corn and they come up on the porch for some spilled bird seed, but never follow her. She wants to know what kind of cologne you wear?? Dan Thomason

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home